Kiwifruit

New Poster
Hello once again SG community,

Last time I played orange I had some players asking me about what I do as a "dev" (notice the "dev" in my name) and that got me thinking, why am I a dev? Well as a developer I've been programming in C#, C++, Lua, Javascript, Java, and Skript. I've never done anything on a large scale before but I have tried and failed to start some small projects in those languages. Recently I've had the belief that I've learned enough about Unity and C# to start something on my own now, that's why I've been considering myself a dev for a while now.

During the match I brought up the game that I've been making, Leaflet. It's a game that I've been drafting up so far with choice based mechanics alongside story being first and foremost. Some story elements I had in mind were things like magic and the fact that the player is an endling human in a world inhabited by animals. I've been making characters while drafting story too, like a sea lion who is at your same learning level.

In orange, I was asked if I could give special items to someone when the game releases but I brought up that it's a singleplayer game. That made me think about an inventory system of sorts. I was also asked about the beta and that sparked my degrading interest once more as I work towards making the story and gameplay mechanics. I'm hoping to provide more information about it in the future when it's in a presentable state.

I am posting here as I'm asking the community about their thoughts on the concept so far and if I could improve anything. Consider this an open discussion I suppose, I'd love to hear feedback in any way so far. Looking for critique as well.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this or if it wouldn't fit in the forum but I thought I'd ask about it as some players seem to be interested. Feel free to let me know if this isn't suitable or if I should post this somewhere else. I'd hate to pollute the community in some form.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I apologize if this is in the wrong place,

KiwifruitDev

Bray

Recognized Member
TF2 Admin
What's the basis for the story so far, and what type of game do you plan on it being?

Kiwifruit

New Poster
What's the basis for the story so far, and what type of game do you plan on it being?
Some story ideas were based on the idea of time travel but I feel as though it would be a bit hard to write a story on that basis (which explains why I'm in a stuck position at the moment) but other than time travel it's mainly fantasy. Magic and such, but it's studied as if it's a field of science and there's an emphasis of modern influence. Nothing too modern like cars or computers but clothing and wristwatches are present.

As for the type of game, I want to make it a choice-based game. Similar to Life Is Strange, the player would not be on a linear path and could move around in environments. The movement system would be similar to that of Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver in that it's tile based but 3-dimensional. I'm hoping to include some DnD elements like dice rolling if it happens to suit somehow but I don't wish for it to be an RPG game. Some game mechanics in mind were based on the idea of magic and throwing of items.

Thank you for your interest.

Bray

Recognized Member
TF2 Admin
Some story ideas were based on the idea of time travel but I feel as though it would be a bit hard to write a story on that basis (which explains why I'm in a stuck position at the moment) but other than time travel it's mainly fantasy. Magic and such, but it's studied as if it's a field of science and there's an emphasis of modern influence. Nothing too modern like cars or computers but clothing and wristwatches are present.

As for the type of game, I want to make it a choice-based game. Similar to Life Is Strange, the player would not be on a linear path and could move around in environments. The movement system would be similar to that of Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver in that it's tile based but 3-dimensional. I'm hoping to include some DnD elements like dice rolling if it happens to suit somehow but I don't wish for it to be an RPG game. Some game mechanics in mind were based on the idea of magic and throwing of items.

Sounds really interesting! I'd definitely give it a look.

sapphire

Recognized Member
I see magic and somewhat interested o.o
I want to say if I can assist for the story, but I never took writing as a serious thing until somewhat recent (still lacking in skill and motivation). But, I can't wait to see what story there is!

Kiwifruit

New Poster
I see magic and somewhat interested o.o
I want to say if I can assist for the story, but I never took writing as a serious thing until somewhat recent (still lacking in skill and motivation). But, I can't wait to see what story there is!
Of course! Any help would be appreciated, as for the current story there really isn't much other than the characters and setting. I'm still very early with this so I'd love to hear any ideas. Sorry for not replying soon enough, hope that's not a burden.