Add a "statute of limitation" for certain minor offenses

screechy

I've always found it annoying when me or a teammate gets killed ten minutes into the round because a blu saw us "not afk freeze on the line" at the beginning of the round. I usually let stuff like lethal taunting and stupid things like that slide as long as a blu isnt in danger.

Anyways, it would work like this:
You cannot "save kills for later" (aka wait for the time to be right like 2 minutes later and take their head off. If someone broke orders, kill them ASAP)

Things like afk violations, detouring, etc (acts that do not put blue in that much danger) should have a limitation of around a minute. Stuff like violating orders with intent to kill, but without anyone getting hurt, should be more like 3 minutes. If a blu is killed or a red has ammo, there is no limitation. This overall will promote less "freekilling" and will prevent new and old users alike from being confused as to why they were just instakilled by a blu sniper. What do you guys think? It obv doesn't have to work exactly like this, but I think something like this could be a good idea. Also ask questions and propose scenarios where this could be abused please

I thought of this in the middle of the night last night and I wanted to put it down I writing

Kortex XD

Recognized Member
Sounds really complicated for something that's not a big issue. If someone thinks they were freekilled you can just explain it to them and if they still complain that's their problem

Gary

Recognized Member
One of the big issues I can think of immediately off the top of my head is someone else dying for the same reason. Now even if you accidentally swing your melee when you are supposed to be afk and a sniper has deleted someone way earlier in the round for it there can't be any limitation on you being KOS. It would be very confusing to even have this implemented but I do get where you are coming from when it comes to minor offenses earlier in the round. While it may be annoying to die this way for something that happened much much earlier it wouldn't be fair to those who died immediately. If you have some way to counteract this I would love to know but for now it is just not fair to those who get immediately deleted by that one sniper.

Pat

Recognized Member
"Anyways, it would work like this:
You cannot "save kills for later" (aka wait for the time to be right like 2 minutes later and take their head off. If someone broke orders, kill them ASAP)"

No. Just No. If im a solider with just a rocket launcher, conch and shovel there is no way im going to waste 45 seconds to who knows how long to try to kill 1 guy (with my shovel obviously because freehitting isnt cool) when there is plenty of other reds on the line with him, id rather wait for a better opportunity when say they are crouch walking to a minigame or he is far enough away from the group i can rocket launcher him safely. It would not only avoid getting me killed but also avoid more unintentional freekills.

screechy

You cannot "save kills for later" (aka wait for the time to be right like 2 minutes later and take their head off. If someone broke orders, kill them ASAP)"

No. Just No. If im a solider with just a rocket launcher, conch and shovel there is no way im going to waste 45 seconds to who knows how long to try to kill 1 guy (with my shovel obviously because freehitting isnt cool) when there is plenty of other reds on the line with him, id rather wait for a better opportunity when say they are crouch walking to a minigame or he is far enough away from the group i can rocket launcher him safely. It would not only avoid getting me killed but also avoid more unintentional freekills.
man that would suck if there was a team with only soldiers wouldnt it 😕it would also suck if it were just one soldier watching a bunch of reds which would lead to a rebellion anyways due to the soldier's lack of an accurate hitscan weapon

oh yeah also i dont think ive ever seen a soldier go after an offender with his shovel he usually would just go "engi with green hat is kos" and some other class would take care of it

screechy

One of the big issues I can think of immediately off the top of my head is someone else dying for the same reason. Now even if you accidentally swing your melee when you are supposed to be afk and a sniper has deleted someone way earlier in the round for it there can't be any limitation on you being KOS. It would be very confusing to even have this implemented but I do get where you are coming from when it comes to minor offenses earlier in the round. While it may be annoying to die this way for something that happened much much earlier it wouldn't be fair to those who died immediately. If you have some way to counteract this I would love to know but for now it is just not fair to those who get immediately deleted by that one sniper.
personally I find the whole "you cant do x if someone has already died for it" rule more of a nag than a help, and I think it should be reformed in a way

but this also is a new idea, hence it isn't considered a "pardon". Technically it would subvert this rule because nothing like my idea actually exists and the only place I've seen it applied is with warden pardoning

Dr. Insanity

Recognized Member

Pretty much what Pat said. Some of us cannot shoot them and need to wait for a better opportunity to do it. If this were to become a thing also, people would just all crouch into each other for a minute and suddenly you're pardoned. It's too complicated of a rule to add and it won't promote less freekilling but will instead increase freekilling cause people will get killed a minute later and complain about freekill and now you gotta figure out when exactly they broke the rule and how long ago they were killed.
Overall, this is complicated as fuck and shouldn't be added.

Bray

Recognized Member
TF2 Admin
Sounds a bit too complicated to be added.

screechy

Pretty much what Pat said. Some of us cannot shoot them and need to wait for a better opportunity to do it. If this were to become a thing also, people would just all crouch into each other for a minute and suddenly you're pardoned. It's too complicated of a rule to add and it won't promote less freekilling but will instead increase freekilling cause people will get killed a minute later and complain about freekill and now you gotta figure out when exactly they broke the rule and how long ago they were killed.
Overall, this is complicated as fuck and shouldn't be added.

Sounds a bit too complicated to be added.

when i made this thread I wasnt asking whether or not it should be added I was asking whether or not it is a good idea and what can be done to make it better. there is always a happy medium. i straight up thought of this on vacation sleeping in a hot ass room at like 12 AM so it isn't that well thought out so I'd appreciate more idea giving 😊😐😭🤬

Kortex XD

Recognized Member
when i made this thread I wasnt asking whether or not it should be added I was asking whether or not it is a good idea and what can be done to make it better. there is always a happy medium. i straight up thought of this on vacation sleeping in a hot ass room at like 12 AM so it isn't that well thought out so I'd appreciate more idea giving 😊😐😭🤬
So you wanted us to let you know if this was a good idea and what could make it better... just so we could not add it?

screechy

So you wanted us to let you know if this was a good idea and what could make it better... just so we could not add it?
no, I want you guys to help improve the idea so it could maybe be added. idk where you thought I was just toying with ideas that I didn't actually want added. what i meant by "I wasnt asking whether or not it should be added," was simply to show how I desired other ideas to help improve the suggestion. I was telling people that I understand that they see the flaws in the idea.

Kortex XD

Recognized Member
no, I want you guys to help improve the idea so it could maybe be added. idk where you thought I was just toying with ideas that I didn't actually want added. what i meant by "I wasnt asking whether or not it should be added," was simply to show how I desired other ideas to help improve the suggestion. I was telling people that I understand that they see the flaws in the idea.
I don't mean to sound rude but many people are pointing out that the idea isn't the best, so maybe there aren't ways to improve it. I feel it would have been better to straight up say that you see the flaws, instead of asking for ways to improve it.

Dr. Insanity

Recognized Member
There is no way to improve on it imo. The only "middle ground" I can think of is to increase it from a minute to like 5 but even then it'd be complicated as all hell to keep track of. If someone is rebelling they can only not be a rebeller if warden pardons them, that's it.

The main problem with this is that you could not practically nor objectively define what offenses should expire. This also messes with the concept of pardoning REDs since there's no longer a consistent responsibility of the warden to decide which REDs are pardoned. If you made an offense, the job of the BLUs is to enforce the orders and kill you on sight. (didn't realize how old this post is)

We should really focus more on how to deal with individuals that freekill. For example, if a RED is killed without dealing damage or traveling a certain distance from the majority of REDs, maybe that kill is displayed in a special way to alerts the server of a potential freekill. It would make it easier to justify votebans/voteslays for those that normally don't vote because they couldn't witness the events.

Last edited: