Controversial | Snipers on Orange - Poll!

Thoughts on snipers getting crits..?

• Let the snipers have crits like every other class!

• I am salty due to snipers, remove crits completely.

• Let snipers have crits ONLY when they get headshots.

• Create another orange server with choices 2 or 3 included (keep the other server the same).

• Other (post a comment on a different response you thought about that could be possible)

• Don't care about this topic.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shetts

Recognized Member
Ah snipers on orange... the most controversial topic of the orange community....
I remember when there was a time when snipers did not have crits on the SG orange server and had to land headshots. I understand it took away fun from the class however, it allowed other classes to have more fun.

With that in mind, I thought about creating a poll and open suggestions to this idea of implementing or modifying the idea.

Choose the best answer that you personally would want, not what the majority chooses. You only can submit your answer once!
Making this thread on what the community thinks on this topic..
Thank you poll takers!

NOTE: The answer(s) that get the most votes may or may not be implemented, so don't get your hopes up.

I think snipes should get 1 hit heads, maybe random crit on the body? Why not make it a cap of 2 or 3 instead of 5, too?
Thanks for addressing this Muu! :cool: I think the best option on your list is crit heads.

Ivy

Recognized Member
yeah, it's not great when you're trying to rocketjump across the map and you get sniped instantly. forcing snipers to aim would be the best option imo

S.Antic93

I don't play on Orange very often but it only seems fair for Sniper to have crits whether they get a headshot or not

Fluquor

basically hitlerchan
Staff member
TF2 Admin
Why was 100% crits on sniper even added in the first place?

Shetts

Recognized Member
Already @Merpy and @S.Antic93 have different outlooks... love you both but this is why I started this thread and reopened the discussion of the topic.

Reactions: Ivy

cube

Recognized Member
Orange isn't exactly meant to be balanced in any sort of way so just leave snipers with crits when things like scout and demo exist

FilboTheDerp

Recognized Member
Snipers doing crits on bodyshots can be pretty annoying so I think that should be removed but they should still crit on headshot. And huntsman still gets crits cuz duh.

sapphire

Recognized Member
Or slap on a sniper only server and have the sniper mains fight there. What's more annoying is getting killed by a shortstop scout from a really long range. Also medic's can just use the vaccinator and he is somewhat fun to play on orange if you have the crusader's crossbow

FilboTheDerp

Recognized Member
Or slap on a sniper only server and have the sniper mains fight there. What's more annoying is getting killed by a shortstop scout from a really long range. Also medic's can just use the vaccinator and he is somewhat fun to play on orange if you have the crusader's crossbow
a sniper only, 100% crits server would suck and would almost always be empty. at least shortstop scouts can't one shot you instantly. And medic's using the vaccinator is boring and if u r using the crossbow u don't have the vaccinator out so still dead. As for pocket med, most people don't have a pocket med on standby.

a sniper duel server would be kinda fun but you can already use trade for that. idk.

Yunkster

Recognized Member
I think orange was always intended to be an unbalanced instagib server. It was never supposed to be balanced, just something you hop on and shoot stuff for fun. I can definitely see why snipers are unfun to play against, but that's the whole point of an 100% crit orange server, no?

Denied

jb map maker
Why was 100% crits on sniper even added in the first place?
Because you can't disclude 1 class for the sake of balance when the server is advertised as a 100% crit server.

This won't and shouldn't change. It doesn't make sense to change it and if it really bothers you so much you could easily just play on another server.

Fluquor

basically hitlerchan
Staff member
TF2 Admin
Because you can't disclude 1 class for the sake of balance when the server is advertised as a 100% crit server.

This won't and shouldn't change. It doesn't make sense to change it and if it really bothers you so much you could easily just play on another server.
I've never played on orange so I really don't know what goes on, I'm just going off a thought as if it was a regular tf2 server >.>

FilboTheDerp

Recognized Member
Or keep the crits but make it so that sniper bodyshots only do 100-120 dmg instead of the 150. This way, he's still fun and effective but doesn't insta kill 5/9 classes

Dfox

It's a 100% crits server. Why are you trying to balance it? If you are mad about being killed by an enemy sniper, just go to the lower tunnels and flank him or something. Or you know, don't play on 100% crits and expect fair gameplay. The way I see it, this argument could be extended to things like RTD. Saying that we should remove lucky sandvich because it makes you OP is dumb, and removing crits for snipers is dumb too.

Sorry if I sound triggered, I am. Orange is not supposed to be balanced, its not the point of the server.

Blitz1763

Recognized Member
TF2 Admin
Out of the shortstop, the most of the time instagib rockets, the people who can farm homing rockets, orange is full of a lot of unfair things that make it fun. (RTD is also one of them)

Sniper does take aim even for those long range body shots. I'm pretty sure when sniper was only allowed to get headshots the class just fell off the map on orange because everyone else was just so much easier. You can go spy to flank and use the enforcer to basically one-shot them, the lower tunnels now make this easier whereas the map before made it much more unfair. I personally like to play spy just to basically one-shot people who don't spy check or get revenge on the people who are sniper (plus dead ringer because nobody expects it due to the nerf). Out-snipe them, use the vaccinator, use some other weapon to just blow them out of existence. I'm personally a meh sniper, but I've felt the frustration when there are good snipers who literally just one tap you, but with experimentation you can find ways around it. Heck, even medic with peeking corners just to shoot a crossbow arrows works which is what the legendary player "Satan" does and what makes him so hard to kill, yet he kills you.

From a balance standpoint, the fact that a spy, a soldier, a medic, and much more has high kill potential they have with different strategies, yet keeping the sniper's main source of damage to a norm, while everybody else's have crits, that's imo too far of a nerf.

If it really bothers you then as others have suggested maybe scale down the base damage as a stat so that it does something lower. But keep in mind to not let it be huge because:

Enforcer: 144 dmg when disguised and crit (one-shots the 125 hp classes)
Crossbow: 225 dmg at full range (usually enough to oneshot lower hp classes due to being far away and peeking corners)
Rocket: 300 dmg at close range (typically does 144 or something or higher at reasonable range)
Shortstop: The small spread hitscan literally reminds me of just a sniper or a spy, it's ridiculous but still used in average range.
Quickiebomb launcher: typically can kill you easily you due to some person grazing you and this weapon's quicker charge rate.

If any nerfs would be a 13% damage nerf or something to maybe have it at a 130 Crit maybe?
I don't think that looking at the server as "oh its supposed to be bullshit" is a solution but looking for options and comparisons could be a little nicer.

(some of this may seem off but Im too tired rn and I just wanna go shower tbh, but I do think sniper ppl should be allowed to have their crits and if not then a only slight nerf)