[ff2] Remove the ability to vote slay the boss and replace it with a vote time

People get buthurt and have started votes to slay the boss when they get killed instead of just waiting. Replacing the ability to voteslay the boss with a vote to reduse the time to two minutes that would help deal with a camping boss/ players instead of just killing them and it prevents people from killing the boss out of malice just to end a game faster

darkloor

I don't see this happening very often. I've seen it is extremely rare for a boss to get vote slain unless they actually deserve to be (hard camping, afk, not fighting). Though having a vote to reduce the time if the boss is camping is an interesting idea, it may be worth trying.

darkloor

Here is one idea I had.
  • Camping Boss Prevention System
    • 30 second timer. After 30 seconds of inactivity, the clock will start counting down by 2 for every 1 second instead of 1 like normal. This ramps up to a maximum of counting down by 5 per second after each subsequent 15 seconds of continued inactivity.
      • Getting a kill resets the 30 second timer
      • Taking 5% of your health resets the 30 second timer

Here is one idea I had.
  • Camping Boss Prevention System
    • 30 second timer. After 30 seconds of inactivity, the clock will start counting down by 2 for every 1 second instead of 1 like normal. This ramps up to a maximum of counting down by 5 per second after each subsequent 15 seconds of continued inactivity.
      • Getting a kill resets the 30 second timer
      • Taking 5% of your health resets the 30 second timer
This would punish bosses who evade and bait, People get salty when they get killed so having the ability to voteslay the boss is unbalanced for the people trying to play the game normally or people who are hard to hit

darkloor

Yes it could punish those who like to play much more evasive, but I would argue that playing too evasively is not healthy gameplay either, because although you are not camping in one spot you are actively avoiding all other players with your higher mobility (and not taking any damage or killing other players either). So extremely evasive playstyles where the first 5 minutes of the round go by with only 2 people dead and the boss at 98% health should be systematically discouraged, because it just isn't healthy for the game.

Also an evasive boss would only get "punished" only if they don't score a kill in 30 seconds or take damage (which is a lot of time to do so). Also, what I like about that system is the punishment is not harsh or significant at all, at least not at first. Even if you go 30 seconds without confronting other players, going from a 1 second to 2 second countdown for a short time is not going to be significant. That system is only designed to really punish those who go for extended periods of time.

It is more fun for the mercenaries to fight a boss that actively engaging groups of enemies, or at least killing one player every 30 seconds (which again is not very hard to do, and even if you don't achieve this the punishment is only significant after extended periods of time. Of course the specific numbers could be adjusted if it is found to be overreaching or not reaching far enough. Also if actually implemented it would be wise to make it so the kill timer resets whenever someone on the mercenary team dies regardless, so fall damage kills or minion kills still count.

Just an idea, it would be interesting to see if would actually be effective at discouraging these less healthy playstyles.

Last edited:
Yes it could punish those who like to play much more evasive, but I would argue that playing too evasively is not healthy gameplay either, because although you are not camping in one spot you are actively avoiding all other players with your higher mobility (and not taking any damage or killing other players either). So extremely evasive playstyles where the first 5 minutes of the round go by with only 2 people dead and the boss at 98% health should be systematically discouraged, because it just isn't healthy for the game.

Also an evasive boss would only get "punished" only if they don't score a kill in 30 seconds or take damage (which is a lot of time to do so). Also, what I like about that system is the punishment is not harsh or significant at all, at least not at first. Even if you go 30 seconds without confronting other players, going from a 1 second to 2 second countdown for a short time is not going to be significant. That system is only designed to really punish those who go for extended periods of time.

It is more fun for the mercenaries to fight a boss that actively engaging groups of enemies, or at least killing one player every 30 seconds (which again is not very hard to do, and even if you don't achieve this the punishment is only significant after extended periods of time. Of course the specific numbers could be adjusted if it is found to be overreaching or not reaching far enough. Also if actually implemented it would be wise to make it so the kill timer resets whenever someone on the mercenary team dies regardless, so fall damage kills or minion kills still count.

Just an idea, it would be interesting to see if would actually be effective at discouraging these less healthy playstyles.
What would be a "Healthy playstyle" Running into a swarm of players? because I've seen people start slays when the boss uses a part of the map like a vent to get a lot of kills, then these people get mad and start to voteslay the boss

darkloor

What would be a "Healthy playstyle" Running into a swarm of players? because I've seen people start slays when the boss uses a part of the map like a vent to get a lot of kills, then these people get mad and start to voteslay the boss
I see where you are coming from. My main point is that I have noticed an increasing number of rounds where the hale actually runs out of time when there are still 10 mercenaries left alive.
^^
If the hale has a healthy playstyle then this will never happen (they will either be dead or have killed everyone).

So running into a swarm of players is not necessary to have a healthy playstyle, just don't be in the position where there is still 15 people left alive with only 2 minutes left in the round.

It is okay to bait and play evasively but like, the rounds don't go for 30 minutes, don't make a round of FF2 into a chess game where you are making one move into a new hallway every 15 seconds. Because not only is it boring, but it also is less fun.

That is partly why I like medics in this game mode a lot because they punish evasive and passive hales. Playing slow vs a medic allows them to get many ubers off, making the medic a perfect built in counter to passive, slow playing hales.

I see the time limit is a resource for the boss to use just like its health is, but I believe that the time limit can also be used to encourage a more fun game experience.

But yes voteslaying the boss just for using part of the map is wrong, but a voteslay for camping and/or killing one player every 3 minutes while being at 98% health I think should be totally acceptable.

Last edited: