Good Editing in Movies?

FilboTheDerp

Recognized Member
I'd just like to take a moment and appreciate movies. But do you know what they've all lacked? Cuts. I mean, every movie has cuts but some bring it to the next level. We don't want smooth camera work that allows people to clearly see things! We need fast editing, cutting after every single move of a molecule, shaky cam, and everything to make the action that much harder to follow.

Example:
giphy.gif

This is obviously shit. Being able to see the action? Not using shaky cam to make your blows seem heavier? Having a skilled actor being coordinated and skilled? Fuck that.

Fuck the fight scenes in Kingsman, John Wick, Atomic Blonde and Baby Driver. Here's some of the best, most well shot action ever. Post more related shit if you want.

G2VQ.gif

civil_war_black_panther_quick_editing_by_digi_matrix-db355x2.gif

I was incapable of watching this:

Attachments

• 1517632274747.png
    1517632274747.png
    95.9 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

TSAthirtyOW

Recognized Member
I’ll never forget the time someone said fuck Kingsman

Recognized Member
Scott pilgrim vs the world had ok fight scenes from what I remember

Yunkster

Recognized Member
Hong Kong action cinema in general doesn't use shaky cam, the best stuff that makes it to the West has subtitles.
John Woo doesn't use shaky cam (Face Off would be his best work imo)
Gareth Evans doesn't use shaky cam (The Raid 1+2, Headshot)

Watanabe has my favourite overall action choreography in a series (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo)
One-offs that have excellent fights would be Sword of the Stranger, maybe a few sports shows (Hajime no Ippo)
Shaky cam and jumpcuts are super easy to film with, which is why some AAA studios love them so much. I think the worst action cam I've seen in a show would be The Hunger Games - the cameraman was doing somersaults at the worst times.

Honestly, if the basics of CQC aren't the focus of the movie, they won't have good choreography.

FilboTheDerp

Recognized Member
Hong Kong action cinema in general doesn't use shaky cam, the best stuff that makes it to the West has subtitles.
John Woo doesn't use shaky cam (Face Off would be his best work imo)
Gareth Evans doesn't use shaky cam (The Raid 1+2, Headshot)

Watanabe has my favourite overall action choreography in a series (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo)
One-offs that have excellent fights would be Sword of the Stranger, maybe a few sports shows (Hajime no Ippo)
Shaky cam and jumpcuts are super easy to film with, which is why some AAA studios love them so much. I think the worst action cam I've seen in a show would be The Hunger Games - the cameraman was doing somersaults at the worst times.

Honestly, if the basics of CQC aren't the focus of the movie, they won't have good choreography.

Hunger games action was ass, so much shaking and cutting. its sad cuz some action that is super over edited is actually not badly done irl but is destroyed in post editing. Like this scene in Captain America: Civil War. Action by itself wasn't badly done but it was cut to pieces with wayy too much shaky cam. I mean. look at how much the camera man is moving JUST STEP BACK LIKE 3 FEET YOU MORON

civil_war_black_widow_action_bts_by_digi_matrix-db355xh.gif

Attachments

• 1517733223510.png
    1517733223510.png
    125.5 KB · Views: 116