Half-Life 3 Confirmed Not Coming out, story released by Main Writer

1bubbainpa

Recognized Member
https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/6vwfmz/the_story_for_halflife_3_was_just_released_by_the/

It's weird, I feel empty inside. A combination of sadness, anger, and disappointment towards Valve.

How could they ditch one of the most profoundly epic game series ever to be left in the dust? Will Valve keep jerking off to Dota and csgo as its main money makers forever? Does this mean other valve games like portal, left 4 dead, or even team fortress get any more sequels?

Honestly, I feel sick.

Chaos

Recognized Member
Sad to see they've done this, but if Valve chooses to ignore their fans, so be it. Fuck 'em.

Baron

Recognized Member
Hey hey hey hey hey now.

How about that Dota 2 card game that people totally asked for, amirite?

JackTheRipper

Recognized Member
Already figured that they stopped it, Steam is making them WAY more money and without any of the work or risks. I don't blame them for taking the economical way out, though from a consumer and a 'reader' of their story I wish they would just finish it.

Midnight

Recognized Member
I swear that I'm the only dota 2 player here.

Just because you are upset about a game not being released doesn't mean you have to bitch about others.
If you look from Valve's perspective would you rather release a new game or improve those that make the most profit.

They had a tournament (The International 7) with a prize pool of $24,787,916 USD. Valve provided $1,600,000. $21,187,916 came from the players. When ever you buy something related to the tournament %25 goes toward the prize pool. If we multiply $21,187,916 by 4 we get $84,751,664. People spent $84,751,664, $21,187,916 went to the prize pool and $63,563,748 went to valves pocket, minus the $1,600,000 that they placed in the prize pool. So the over all money Valve made in 4 months (mid may-mid August) is $61,963,748.

This is the reason valve focuses on games that are competitive. They make more from it than the winners of the game usually. So unless you are gonna pay Valve $61,963,748 the chance are they won't listen.

Wickednick

Recognized Member
When the main writer left, anyone with half a brain would realize they wouldn't continue it, the extra bits of story aren't that great anyway, would've loved to have another game but it makes sense e why it didn't come out

JoeLife26

Recognized Member
Wow this wasn't a suprised really Valve can barely count up to 3! I mean seriously its just Valve Common Sense they don't do 3 of anything thought you guys would know that by now ¯\_(꘠ ◞ ꘠)_/¯

Zero1763

Recognized Member
people arguing whether videogame is being made
if it gets made it's there, if it isn't you can reee about a dead game
Hopefully you get more satisfaction out if it being made if it comes to be(year 5017)

Last edited:

Versity

Recognized Member
It was expected dead when that leading guy left it. It's a shame.

Yuki

Administrator
Staff member
TF2 Admin
HL3 has been hyped so much that no matter what Valve releases, it's gonna a disappoint. Besides, what 3rd game in a series has actually been amazing?

Denied

jb map maker
This topic should've died years ago, valve could and still can't do anything in the situation and we should've expected something like this would happen. Valve gave you plenty of time to detach yourself from the series and move on, but you didn't take the opportunity, suck it up.

Robely

Recognized Member
https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/6vwfmz/the_story_for_halflife_3_was_just_released_by_the/

It's weird, I feel empty inside. A combination of sadness, anger, and disappointment towards Valve.

How could they ditch one of the most profoundly epic game series ever to be left in the dust? Will Valve keep jerking off to Dota and csgo as its main money makers forever? Does this mean other valve games like portal, left 4 dead, or even team fortress get any more sequels?

Honestly, I feel sick.
(Insert sarcastic remark about how we didn't know that this was going to happen but we really did)

Lemmiwinks

I think that the hype ruined any chances with HL3 anyways so I'm not surprised that the game that they announced wasn't what everyone expected. Like what Jack said, they took the economical way out, which they have done many times before.

Pgapepper

Wait, there's more to enjoying Half-Life than just the story?

Valve gets money, allows them to work for more updates on their other games, which are all still great fun.

Ivy

Recognized Member
this doesn't mean HL3 isn't a possibility. the leak doesn't mean its over, as HL map files were recently found just edited in 2014.

aaaalso, just because an old writer released something, doesn't mean valve cant make a new story.

hell, valve could have leaked this on purpose!