Incentive to use bottle while playing Cave Johnson

Moashu

Recognized Member
Hello! Haven't done a suggestion in a while. This is regarding Cave Johnson and how his playstyle can rather be boring or simply too strong and never in between. He's a boss that can spam projectiles and deal massive damage which allows him to destroy enemies that are close to each other. Knowing this, there's almost no reason to use the bottle other than killing enemies at close range, but that won't always be the case since smart players will try to keep their distance from him (except Spies for obvious reasons).

With that, I suggest two small additions for Cave Johnson:

1- Slowly reduce the effectiveness of his grenade launcher overtime:
This can give at the very least a reason for Cave Johnson to use their melee. The longer the player uses his grenade launcher, the stats of the weapon gets reduced until it reaches a certain cap. Reducing firing speed, reload speed and maybe damage can punish players for relying on it too much. As soon as the player switches to his melee, the grenade launcher slowly starts to gain back its lost effectiveness. The reduction should be applied as soon as the player used the grenade launcher for a specific amount of time or got a specific amount of kills with it (excluding buildings and dead ringer deaths). Getting melee kills with the bottle can speed up the process as a reward for using their melee.

2- Allow the player to gain ammo on hit/kill with the bottle:
This has been brought up in SG discord but I do believe it's a good addition. We can all agree that Cave Johnson's weakness is running out of ammo and we all know that the first thing the player will do is go looking for ammo ASAP. This can promote unhealthy and/or boring playstyles. Giving Cave Johnson the ability to gain ammo with the bottle via hitting/killing can give more incentive to use his melee.

With all these changes, this can reward a good Cave Johnson player for using his entire arsenal rather than just spraying and praying with his grenade launcher.

If you believe these are bad suggestions or if you have something else in mind, let me know please.

Thank you for your time!

1614472921220.png