Official vsh_octagon Thread: The Sequel

AwesomeAim

Recognized Member
The 8-sided revival is here. It kinda already was, but now it's official.
vsh_octagon_a40008.png
vsh_octagon, the map to end all maps. That sounded cooler in my head. Moving on.

It's got
  • Octagons
  • Explosive barrels
  • Deadly water, don't fall in!
  • A corner 'island' with a jump ramp thingy
  • 8 awesome angles
  • Debris
  • And soon, you!

Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=850895620

And you thought oilrig was annoying. Mwehehehehehe...

Hopefully I can get this on the vsh (ff2) server, so all can experience the magnificent extravagant awesomeness that is vsh_octagon.

btw there's a secret but you didn't hear that from me

Wickednick

Recognized Member
The secret is that under the water is a picture of guzma /spoiler 100% you guys will never see it with my /spoiler

SNC

Recognized Member
The debris is kinda sparse. I'd ideally like to see some more barriers and irregularities. Looks good, though.

AwesomeAim

Recognized Member
I'm not gonna make an entirely new thread for a small update, so I'm gonna post on here.

vsh_octagon_a4_fix is here. The map is playable now. Players would respawn on the other one, which is rather problematic. Had to rtv that endless hell.

https://tf2maps.net/downloads/octagon.218/

AwesomeAim

Recognized Member
The map was voted on a while ago. It was really brutal.

Some people liked the map, after noticing that it wasn't broken anymore.

Others...
4E667A24E457516EDB55F2293F9BEB66E0E4DED8

...yeah. Of course, he wouldn't describe why he disliked the map, what features he wished were in the map, or anything really useful or constructive. He just yelled it was garbage and to rtv.

I guess some people get really salty when you can't survive 10+ hits from hale and stuff that should kill you actually kills you (cough that one sky map git gud).

That said, the bandwagon was real, and it got rtv'd after two rounds.

I might need a group to come with me to vote it up and play around on the map to get a feel for it, and figure out what needs changing, so I can make it a better map. If you'd be into that, add me:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesomeaim

For what it's worth, the first round was pretty close. I died to a barrel, which I found pretty amusing. The second round got rtv'd before it really got anywhere. I see what Kona means now by the players being vicious.

Yuki

Administrator
Staff member
TF2 Admin

Others...

...yeah. Of course, he wouldn't describe why he disliked the map, what features he wished were in the map, or anything really useful or constructive. He just yelled it was garbage and to rtv.

I guess some people get really salty when you can't survive 10+ hits from hale and stuff that should kill you actually kills you (cough that one sky map git gud).

I might need a group to come with me to vote it up and play around on the map to get a feel for it, and figure out what needs changing, so I can make it a better map. If you'd be into that, add me:

For what it's worth, the first round was pretty close. I died to a barrel, which I found pretty amusing. The second round got rtv'd before it really got anywhere. I see what Kona means now by the players being vicious.
Welcome to my life when anything is changed.

1bubbainpa

Recognized Member

Others...

Typical SG FF2 players, most of them have been spoiled by the custom weapons, that they don't realize on other servers hale can 1-hit most classes while they have regular weapons.

I'd need to test this map myself, but I don't know how it will work.

EmNudge

allowed the sun back into the spy room
If you actually want criticism, here you go:
  1. There is no 3d skybox. The water ends oddly
  2. The map is not aesthetically pleasing. You have many basic brushes with all sides the same texture.
  3. Your water brush should have only the top side textured, other sides nodrawed.
  4. Your trigger_hurt is unnecessarily the same size as the water. It only needs to be on the uppermost layer.
  5. Going on the nodraw, there is none of it properly used. Sides that the player cannot see should be nodrawed to save map space and FPS.
  6. You textured a func_nobuild with a nodraw. It should be textured with the trigger texture.
  7. Your trigger_catapult has no launch target. It should preferably have one to avoid Hales going into the water and killing themselves
  8. This is basically a smash bros map. Not a VSH one.