JackTheRipper

Recognized Member
So recently around the forums people have been making suggestions for a lot of new additions to the shop, rule changes, etc.

I thought now would be a good time to talk about that important function and powerful tool that everyone has at their disposal: The Report Tool.

Is this tool even worth it?
Yes. Hell yes.
Players have just as much power as an Admin does with this, but most players don't use it. Its a surprising thing, but its mostly due to not many players knowing about it in the first place.
Reporting a freekiller, a spammer, an exploiter, etc, is just as powerful as banning them. Its not as immediate. But with this you can police the server just like an admin would. Some players report so much that they get recommended for Moderator, and most admins currently active were once big reporters on the servers before they were promoted.

Abusive admins have almost always been taken down by normal players, just recording and reporting them. Thanks to normal players that use this tool, tens of abusive admins are no longer around. It useful and powerful, you just need to take a moment to use it.
If its so great, why doesn't everyone just use it?
There are a large number of reasons people don't use it. Some people feel its a waste of time, others think its not a fast enough solution, and most think it doesn't even help. But the first and second reasons players don't use the report system is: Complexity and Laziness.

Here are the steps to recording, the first part of reporting:
A) Make a demo.
1) Enable Console.
  • Start TF2
  • On the main menu, choose Options.
  • On the Keyboard tab, click Advanced.
  • Place a checkmark in Enable developer console.
2) in game, press Tilde ( ` ) to open the console.
  • Type 'record' and then the demo's name (example: Record Demo1)
  • You're now recording!
B) Watch the subject and record them doing the act you wish to report. Then type "stop" into console to stop the recording.

Perfect! Thats the first part of reporting, which is making the demo. Now you need to find where the hell TF2 put it.
Program Files (x86) > Steam > Steamapps > Common > Team Fortress 2 > Tf

You're looking for DEM files. These are the files you recorded. Look for the name you put in, and you'll find it easily.

Next is taking that DEM File, that demo, and using it to report the person you recorded.

Go to the SG-Forums.
Scroll down until you see "Reports". Click it.
Here you will see a big box that states the format you need it in:

Please copy paste this format when making a report
Thread title: Report: {Name of person you're reporting} - {Short 2-3 word summary of report}

Inside the thread:
Their Steam Name
{Their steam name}
Their Steam ID
{Their Steam ID, preferably in this format: STEAM_0:0:XXXX}

Explanation
{Tell us what rule this person has broken, and what part of your evidence is relevant}
Evidence
{Upload screenshots or videos by dragging them here}

How do we find these things? You need to find the person's steam name, then go to this website or something like it: https://steamid.xyz
You give them their steam name, it'll give you their ID.
Now that you have everything, press "Post Thread" and set up the report!
Then press "Submit" and you're done!

These steps are complex to the average player, and it can be intimidating. But when their are no admins on, you can be that person that makes sure the issue never happens again. And thats a big deal when you think about it.

How is that a big Deal?

Its a huge deal. With the report tool you're basically a mini-moderator. A person that can police the server without any other player knowing. If everyone used this report system all the time the need for admins and mods would drop immensely. We'd still need them, but if each player were a mini-moderator, the server would be able to police itself practically. If you do a little bit, just submit a report. It can stop that rulebreaker from doing it again and discourage others from breaking that same rule.

I can't report someone because of...

Crappy computer, can't get it to work, etc. There are a million things that can go wrong with a PC or MAC and sometimes you can't report. It happens. If you're one of those players or you're just too lazy to do it, tell others. Spread the word about the report system so everyone, even non-forum goers know about it. The more people that know, the more likely people will report rulebreaking.

The Big Picture.

The big picture is, that TF2 is a game, and games are meant to be fun. When we're all fair, helpful and do our little part we make the game more fun. Even if we're dicks and assholes to each other sometimes, we need to remember that we're all in this together. Taking a few minutes to report a rulebreaker can be an immense help to everyone.
Admins and mods get a lot of attention, and when we come on the servers, rulebreakers stop breaking rules and 'Play nice' until the admin or mod leaves. Then they break the rules again. Not fearing players will report them. You can stop this and put the fear back into rulebreakers.
Help preserve the fun you and your fellow TF2 players have just by recording and reporting them. If we all do a little bit each, it'll make a huge difference.

TL : DR: Report rulebreakers when you can through the proper system and you'll have a much better server for it. We're all in this together. Have fun out there.

Denied

jb map maker
I can't report someone because of...

Crappy computer, can't get it to work, etc. There are a million things that can go wrong with a PC or MAC and sometimes you can't report. It happens. If you're one of those players or you're just too lazy to do it, tell others. Spread the word about the report system so everyone, even non-forum goers know about it. The more people that know, the more likely people will report rulebreaking.

Note that if your computer is too shitty to record demos and play the game at the same time, you could always jump into spectator and record the accused person. You're gonna lag a lot, but it's worth going through with if the rulebreaker is recurring.

It's also worth noting that demo files are not video files, they're more like a recording of what's going on in the console for later replayability.

Zero1763

Recognized Member

Nods Noddingly

New Poster
That's great. What do you do if you've been banned and don't even know what you did? I can't get the appeal button to even work.

My ban has no reason attached that I can see.

Loki

Recognized Member
TF2 Admin
That's great. What do you do if you've been banned and don't even know what you did? I can't get the appeal button to even work.

My ban has no reason attached that I can see.
You were banned from a report #9292 contact kona or Yuki if you were falsely banned but since it’s from a report, you were probably banned fairly

Nods Noddingly

New Poster
The thing is I don't actually know. You know me. Run around with a flamethrower, make the same jokes. Play middling to poorly.
I ran to the bathroom once as fast as I could once when Tai was Hale and he gave me some freebie damage for some reason when I got back, but honestly trying to hide until I'm the last guy isn't really my M.O. I typed kill in the console to end the round, but both Tai and I died. It didn't say admin killed us, but I see worse literally every day I'm on the server.
The exception is against a mega flying Hale-type boss who touches the ground two seconds at a time, which is boring to play against. Sometimes I'll kinda give up pursuit in that case and do a dumb taunt until goomba'd or something. I don't think that happened this morning.

How do I contact Kona or Yuki?

I mean, *nods*