New [Suggestion] Hale Ping Limit

You ever just play soldier and jump at the hale, get a garden and think "woooo, now it's time to jump away!".
But when you jump away, you get hit by hale midair, the reason this happens is because of the hale's ping.
On their screen, they totally earned it. But to anyone with a low ping, they clearly didn't deserve.
This is why I propose a hale ping limit. All it simply does is just simply check their absolute ping before becoming hale
Make the cap somewhere around 70-80. That way it makes the hale environment more "fair" objectively.

E: Only issue I see with this is, someone can have good ping initially, but they start lagging out, bringing us back to square 1.

Fluquor

Queen of Ice
Staff member
TF2 Admin
This will not work never will work. This essentially bottlenecks the boss player-base to players with only good ping. Not to mention you can just change your ping to a fake number via console. This is not a major issue and is not unique to TF2, it is apparent and present in ANY online game, no matter what title or developer made it. There has never been a solution to this, and bottlenecking the boss player-base will bring only more harm than benefit.

This will not work never will work. This essentially bottlenecks the boss player-base to players with only good ping. Not to mention you can just change your ping to a fake number via console. This is not a major issue and is not unique to TF2, it is apparent and present in ANY online game, no matter what title or developer made it. There has never been a solution to this, and bottlenecking the boss player-base will bring only more harm than benefit.
keeping hales with bad ping also has it's trade offs, the players have to deal with fighting the hale with horrific ping, its not fun to fight, and its not the hales fault, if someone really wants to play hale enough to the point where they go out of their way to ping mask, let them do that. Chdata's VSH implements a hale ping limit in a fine way, I think it would really improve the quality of fighting hales on FF2. From what I've seen, the majority of players stay under this threshold anyways.

maybe just ditch this concept all together, just PLEASE add something to prevent laggy hales from abusing their ping (intentional or not).

Fluquor

Queen of Ice
Staff member
TF2 Admin
Ping is something unavoidable. It's simply unrealistic to set a cap. The quality that you find in fighting bosses is not only affected by ping, but more importantly TF2's horrible optimization and hit registration from player to player. It's not fair to Pablo.gonzales.2007 to be unable to play as his favorite character just because he has higher ping, nor is it fair for a European or Asia player to connect with a fake 5 ping to abuse the lag compensation. There's way too many grey spots in this sort of management to ever make it realistically fair for everyone. Factors that are "out of control" for the boss and players affect their gameplay are not something that should be limited via a very general and broad restriction. Just because one server does it well does not mean that it is the best method. Our servers are open and available for all players who enjoy the game mode, and those who enjoy playing boss, however introducing this only deters players who may enjoy our servers, but no longer can participate in the one thing that they connect for. The best response and possibility I can give you is a very soft cap of around 200 ping, 70-80 is unreasonably low and restrictive. Don't take this as a guarantee or high consideration, the points have been made and some analysis will be done before a decision is made. It is still highly unlikely that something like this will be implemented.

Wickednick

Ping is something unavoidable. It's simply unrealistic to set a cap. The quality that you find in fighting bosses is not only affected by ping, but more importantly TF2's horrible optimization and hit registration from player to player. It's not fair to Pablo.gonzales.2007 to be unable to play as his favorite character just because he has higher ping, nor is it fair for a European or Asia player to connect with a fake 5 ping to abuse the lag compensation. There's way too many grey spots in this sort of management to ever make it realistically fair for everyone. Factors that are "out of control" for the boss and players affect their gameplay are not something that should be limited via a very general and broad restriction. Just because one server does it well does not mean that it is the best method. Our servers are open and available for all players who enjoy the game mode, and those who enjoy playing boss, however introducing this only deters players who may enjoy our servers, but no longer can participate in the one thing that they connect for. The best response and possibility I can give you is a very soft cap of around 200 ping, 70-80 is unreasonably low and restrictive. Don't take this as a guarantee or high consideration, the points have been made and some analysis will be done before a decision is made. It is still highly unlikely that something like this will be implemented.
Just let lowcraft owners only play hale dumb idiot

Wickednick

Let's pretend you're serious for a moment. Lowcrafts as a gate sounds dumb both on paper and in practice.
>pretend im serious
Sir are you implying I am taking this lowcraft thing as a joke? With this we can whittle out the weak and poor