The vote system needs to be fixed (And how to fix it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friend ABC

New Poster
A lot of people that play jailbreak or anything else know that the vote system is messed up. If you or someone else starts a vote, then it will require almost the entire server to vote yes, which is very difficult, especially if, and I mean IF someone brings on multiple accounts and votes no on them. It wouldn't take that many accounts before the vote system wont work. I feel like a majority vote would work, or maybe 60 or 70% vote majority or something like that. If you have any suggestions, feels free to comment them down below.

Yuki

Administrator
Staff member
TF2 Admin
There's been some consideration to lower it to 80% but I don't see it dropping any lower than that.

Snap

TF2 Admin
I was expecting an in-depth analysis of the vote menu with a title like that.

I feel like I have to say this every single time anyone mentions anything about the automation of certain processes in a game like this. Jailbreak is an incredibly toxic game mode. I've been playing for nearly the entirety of TF2's lifetime in a Jailbreak setting, with around 3 years being in this community.

Let's throw up some buzzwords to explain how the vote menu is bad:
  • Abusable
  • Inaccurate
  • Poor execution/follow through
Everyone is already aware of how the vote menu works, I don't have to tell anyone how it does or doesn't work. Fact of the matter is that given how the game mode is at its core, it makes everything just a little harder. The problem isn't even the vote menu, the problem is the people who use the vote menu. Things like this don't work because the people you're implementing the system for are immature.

Of course I get upset over getting killed during a round, I'm a good little boy who crouch walks to warden waypoints. Who doesn't get upset when you die? If your sole purpose wasn't to rebel during the round then you will probably be a little inquisitive as to why you died, and probably distraught over the reasoning given, if any at all. This is strictly anecdotal but I notice more votes are called on people who don't give reasoning when killing. I've noticed that generally being apathetic towards the people you're killing will get you more flak. Who'da thought, huh? Being an aggressive warden that cherry-picks rules will typically get a vote called on you quicker.

Alright, so now let's explain why the vote menu is currently bad. Abusable. Things that rely on player's input will always be abusable in a number of ways. In extreme cases, someone can set a few dummy accounts to join the server so as to offset any potential votes called on them. On the other side of the coin, anyone can call a vote even if they don't understand the rules. I've had people from other servers call votes, complain that they broke X, Y, and Z rules, and then complain when the vote doesn't pass. Obviously, we're not like every other single Jailbreak server, so we have different rules. Not everyone reads them, but everyone can call a vote. Inaccurate. As based on the suggestions of others, the vote menu needs more reasons when calling a vote. I've seen people call votes under the reason "Inaudible Mic," when the warden obviously has a functioning mic and is issuing orders. Communicating to others what the intended reason is is more useful to people than just saying the person has a non-functioning mic even when everyone can hear them. Poor execution. Currently with its abusability, it is able to be used to shut down the server activity late at night. A vote passing to punish the Blu in question can cause them to call a vote on someone else. This is a chain reaction that breeds toxicity and drives away the night crowd. This problem is not just after dark, but it has a stronger impact at night because we have dwindling numbers at that time. Being as it's an NA server, most NA players are asleep after 12-1AM, and anywhere from 12-8AM is typically occupied by players in Asia and Australia.

Here's what I think we can do to remedy this problem:
  • Vote Menu Fixes
    • Introduce cooldowns so that the vote can not be restarted as soon as it fails
      • This detracts from several games and is increasingly annoying each time it is called. This also makes playing theater near impossible.
    • Introduce cooldowns so that the vote menu can not be used by players who have been recently affected by a passing vote
      • This disallows players to call a vote in retaliation to the person who called the vote on them.
    • Introduce incremental cooldowns so that players who call multiple failed votes can not call as many
      • This punishes people who call votes on players when it is not necessary.
    • Consider pushing the threshold to 80% for a passing vote
      • This increases the amount of passed votes, obviously.
    • Consider adding mute/gag reasons with communication blocks
      • This punishes mic spammers and players spamming the elusive naughty words.
  • Rule Changes
    • Introduce a rule that states when killing multiple reds for the same reason, state the reason.
      • This cuts down on confusion for players on Red as they will now have an answer as to why they died.
    • Introduce a rule that states issuing orders as a Red is KOS
      • Confusion ensues whenever more than two are talking, stop letting Reds tell their team to go to Medic
    • Introduce an easier way to read and interpret the rules
      • Most people aren't aware how to get to the rules, and the rules are still vague in certain situations.
      • The rules page should be constantly changing. We should not keep the same rules that we did from 6 months ago, there are tons of situations that should be explained more thoroughly or addressed period.
      • Interpretation is up to you. The rules are written so that it can lead to multiple interpretations of the same rule.
  • Quality of Life
    • Mic Threshold/Supression
      • Again, it's confusing whenever more than two are talking. Disallow the ability for Reds to spam out the Warden from 13:25-13:00, causing a freeday. Only allow X amount of players to use the mic at the same time.
      • Allow the warden to have precedence over others, if three reds use the mic at the same time to spam out the warden, the warden should still be able to use their mic in situations where they would be suppressed.
      • A warden using their mic where they would be suppressed should cause a temporary suppression for all Reds on the server for a short period of time so that they can speak.

I'm not saying that these things will fix Jailbreak, I'm just mad that everyone keeps saying the vote menu is garbage but nobody wants to actually talk about how to fix it. I may be leaving things out that I should have but it's midnight here and I started writing this forever ago so I'll just post it now and others can add their thoughts to this thread.

Official Vote Menu Discussion Hype?

Friend ABC

New Poster

I feel like I have to say this every single time anyone mentions anything about the automation of certain processes in a game like this. Jailbreak is an incredibly toxic game mode. I've been playing for nearly the entirety of TF2's lifetime in a Jailbreak setting, with around 3 years being in this community.

• Abusable
  • Inaccurate
Everyone is already aware of how the vote menu works, I don't have to tell anyone how it does or doesn't work. Fact of the matter is that given how the game mode is at its core, it makes everything just a little harder. The problem isn't even the vote menu, the problem is the people who use the vote menu. Things like this don't work because the people you're implementing the system for are immature.

Of course I get upset over getting killed during a round, I'm a good little boy who crouch walks to warden waypoints. Who doesn't get upset when you die? If your sole purpose wasn't to rebel during the round then you will probably be a little inquisitive as to why you died, and probably distraught over the reasoning given, if any at all. This is strictly anecdotal but I notice more votes are called on people who don't give reasoning when killing. I've noticed that generally being apathetic towards the people you're killing will get you more flak. Who'da thought, huh? Being an aggressive warden that cherry-picks rules will typically get a vote called on you quicker.

Alright, so now let's explain why the vote menu is currently bad. Abusable. Things that rely on player's input will always be abusable in a number of ways. In extreme cases, someone can set a few dummy accounts to join the server so as to offset any potential votes called on them. On the other side of the coin, anyone can call a vote even if they don't understand the rules. I've had people from other servers call votes, complain that they broke X, Y, and Z rules, and then complain when the vote doesn't pass. Obviously, we're not like every other single Jailbreak server, so we have different rules. Not everyone reads them, but everyone can call a vote. Inaccurate. As based on the suggestions of others, the vote menu needs more reasons when calling a vote. I've seen people call votes under the reason "Inaudible Mic," when the warden obviously has a functioning mic and is issuing orders. Communicating to others what the intended reason is is more useful to people than just saying the person has a non-functioning mic even when everyone can hear them. Poor execution. Currently with its abusability, it is able to be used to shut down the server activity late at night. A vote passing to punish the Blu in question can cause them to call a vote on someone else. This is a chain reaction that breeds toxicity and drives away the night crowd. This problem is not just after dark, but it has a stronger impact at night because we have dwindling numbers at that time. Being as it's an NA server, most NA players are asleep after 12-1AM, and anywhere from 12-8AM is typically occupied by players in Asia and Australia.

• Vote Menu Fixes
      • This detracts from several games and is increasingly annoying each time it is called. This also makes playing theater near impossible.
    • Introduce cooldowns so that the vote menu can not be used by players who have been recently affected by a passing vote
      • This disallows players to call a vote in retaliation to the person who called the vote on them.
    • Introduce incremental cooldowns so that players who call multiple failed votes can not call as many
  • Rule Changes
    • Introduce a rule that states when killing multiple reds for the same reason, state the reason.
      • This cuts down on confusion for players on Red as they will now have an answer as to why they died.
      • Confusion ensues whenever more than two are talking, stop letting Reds tell their team to go to Medic
      • Most people aren't aware how to get to the rules, and the rules are still vague in certain situations.
      • The rules page should be constantly changing. We should not keep the same rules that we did from 6 months ago, there are tons of situations that should be explained more thoroughly or addressed period.
      • Interpretation is up to you. The rules are written so that it can lead to multiple interpretations of the same rule.
  • Quality of Life
      • Again, it's confusing whenever more than two are talking. Disallow the ability for Reds to spam out the Warden from 13:25-13:00, causing a freeday. Only allow X amount of players to use the mic at the same time.
      • Allow the warden to have precedence over others, if three reds use the mic at the same time to spam out the warden, the warden should still be able to use their mic in situations where they would be suppressed.
      • A warden using their mic where they would be suppressed should cause a temporary suppression for all Reds on the server for a short period of time so that they can speak.

I'm not saying that these things will fix Jailbreak, I'm just mad that everyone keeps saying the vote menu is garbage but nobody wants to actually talk about how to fix it. I may be leaving things out that I should have but it's midnight here and I started writing this forever ago so I'll just post it now and others can add their thoughts to this thread.

wait didn't i just play on a server with you? Shemale.

Friend ABC

New Poster

• Abusable
  • Inaccurate

• Vote Menu Fixes
  • Rule Changes
  • Quality of Life

also, next time i make a thread ill try to make an SA instead of a quick comment

Lady_Kyuuna

Recognized Member
Status
Not open for further replies.